

Last night Janae and I dropped off at Target to finish our Christmas Shopping, and while standing in line I experienced a rather funny meeting. But there is a little back story needed to full appreciate this post.
It all began this last summer semester when I took a persuasive writing class at school. In that semester I learned a very important lesson, know who your audience is, and write to that audience. I spent the semester writing papers of various topics. I really enjoyed trying to get into my audience's mind and trying to see things as they would. All in all I had to write 7 or 8 papers in that class, with the last one being 10 or more pages long on a topic we had to do a ton of research on. Being that Janae was in her third trimester I decided to write on a topic that was being discussed with us often; breast feeding. More specifically why people should breastfeed their baby. I tried various audiences for my paper starting with business owners and eventually settling on new fathers who are uncomfortable with the idea of breast feeding in public or private. (you'd be surprised how many people are in that audience) I then did my research, I looked at many scientific papers highlighting the benefits of breastfeeding for mother and baby. I also found many great research papers that showed the many great benefits of breast feeding for fathers. This paper covered heath, social and sexual benefits of breastfeeding. Needless to say it would have made your typical BYU freshman blush.
Since this was the last paper of the semester part of our grade was to read other student papers and write our critiques on them. When I got my paper back my fellow student who critiqued the paper did not give it a very favorable review. He wrote that if he were a new father he would feel uncomfortable with all the "sexual content" of this paper. He didn't like "how openly [I] talked about female anatomy" and he said that by the end of the paper he, "felt dirty." I was really pleased when my teacher wrote a note at the end of my paper that said that she did not share the views of my fellow student. She though that he was not doing a very good job of seeing things from the view of a married man and new father. She liked the paper and gave me a 98 out of 100 on it.
So you may be wondering what this has to do with standing in the line at Target. Well, last night when I got in line I noticed the person in front of me in line was none other than the student who reviewed my paper. He was holding hand with his girlfriend who was buying a thong and some bras. I couldn't help but wonder if he would grade my paper differently now.
8 comments:
Ha ha!! A THONG!! How funny! Did you tap him on the shoulder and say "watching you hold her hand while she buys a thong makes me feel uncomfortable..."?
That's awesome! :D So interesting how our perspectives seem to change when we get married or get into a committed relationship. I give your blog post 4 stars! :)
That is very funny.
I would gladly read a paper such as you wrote, but I don't think I would buy thongs and bras in front of people I was dating.....Did she at least have a ring?!
BTW I love the Dartmouth baby in the video below!
Just knowing he was with his girlfriend and she was buying a thong makes ME feel dirty! I took that class--it was HARD! My final paper was on the artist Mary Cassat--very noncontroversial. Yours sounds much more interesting.
That is funny!
Ha. I hope you were buying something breastfeeding related.
Too funny.
Post a Comment