2.18.2009

Still need that foot or two...

Wednesdays at the MTC are emotional. That's just the way things are. However, TODAY at the MTC things were especially emotional.

Enter Sammy* with his family. Sammy turned four on Tuesday and was so excited to be going to the MTC because he thought that HE was leaving on a mission. That night Sammy packed a suitcase 3/4 his height with all of his clothes. He thought he would need those for the next two years. Early Wednesday morning he woke up, dressed in his nicest suit, clipped on his tie, and got some help tying his shoes. Off Sammy went to the MTC with his family--who were going to say goodbye to Jean-Claude*--fully expecting them to leave him there.

Imagine his broken heart and bitter tears when the family exited one door, Jean-Claude exited the other, and Sammy was still with his family. The little wanna-be was crushed and in the hall just outside the chapel his parents were trying to explain his frustrations away. Sammy wasn't sad that Jean-Claude was gone. Sammy wished HE was the one gone.

Many more tears were shed...and then there was a fair amount of laughter. As a special treat, Sammy's family took pictures of him standing outside of the MTC with his suitcase (yes, it was still with him) by the large "Missionary Training Center" sign. Sammy's face was aglow and his smile was blinding. Someday, after a few more feet, he would be a missionary too.

*Names have been fabricated


True story! My office faces the hall all of the families walk down just after they've said goodbye. I'll tell you, it's a little awkward to see all of the tear-stained faces look at you through the big office window. Should I ignore them or smile sympathetically? I've worked there for a year and a half and I have yet to figure it out. But seriously, Wednesdays are great! That Sammy was adorable!

4 comments:

Keith said...

I LOVE how, when you take a sibling to the MTC, you get to sit there next to him, knowing it's your last time being together for two years, and listen to people telling you to say goodbye quickly - to use the band-aid strategy - FOR AN HOUR.

Rich said...

I think it's the cutest story ever. I bet when the time comes for him to actually go on his mission he'll be like me. I didn't even cry, I knew I'd see mom and dad again. So after a hug I got up and walked across the chairs to get out of the room and then waved goodbye. I was the first one in the hall.

Jason & Shannon said...

That is such a cute story!!! How do you like working at the MTC? What do you do there?

Jangs said...

That is such a precious story. I am sure you have more than a few good ones from the MTC