6.02.2009

Look what my boss made for me! There are two of them. :) I'm excited for the day when I can actually wear them at work...in about a month and a half!

Can you tell I've had a hard time concentrating at work?

Speaking of work, it's been interesting to see how people behave now that the MTC is infested with the swine flu. In a matter of two and a half days (last weekend) there were 20 missionaries who came down ill. That's not normal, but they've quarantined them to 4M, keeping them very much away from all of the others. The interesting part is to see the difference between the healthy missionaries and the administrators.
The administrators are running around like crazy trying to keep everything contained, changing flights, canceling everything; and now there is a new MTC policy that families are to drop missionaries off at the door. There is no such thing as an orientation anymore. But it turns out that they were going to do this in the next few months anyway, so it isn't a big deal.
The healthy missionaries are another story. There are those that wear face masks and gloves everywhere, and there are those that couldn't care less. Then there are my personal favorites. They're the angry ones. All travel from the MTC has been stopped. If a district has had anyone come down sick, then the entire district has to stay at the MTC until they know that no one else has been infected. You can imagine... :)

Richard made me promise to not get the flu. I hope it's as easy as that. :)

7 comments:

Adam B said...

So no more orientation ever?! Sad days - my brother goes into the MTC in 2 1/2 weeks. :P Stupid swine flu and people freaking out about it. Seriously, people - I got back from Mexico a couple weeks ago, and I am fine. Sheesh.

Oh, and I can understand all the angry missionaries who can't leave the MTC. I've never been in the Provo MTC (I was excited to go with my brother for the orientation - lame), but if it's anything like the Preston MTC (England), I wouldn't be able to get out of there fast enough. It was a good experience and all, but I was ready to be gone.

Dianey Face said...

Although I'm sad for the missionaries who have to stay at the MTC even though they're ready to be out in the field, if this makes Robyn stay in long enough for me to be in the MTC with her, then... maybe it's a good thing. :) ha ha.

Yep, the world revolves around me.

Bruce said...

Really nice job saying "I couldn't care less." Seems that everyone thinks they "could care less" these days when they don't care... :)

Nae said...

Bruce, I'm glad you noticed. :)

And Diane, the entire world has revolved around you since 1988. It revolved around me until you were born.

And Adam, I agree about wanting to get out of the MTC. I've never been in the MTC as a missionary. I only work here.

The latest update is 31 missionaries in quarantine. Four or five have the swine flu, and all of the others have Type A. And, according to medical specialists (etc.) Type A is much more dangerous than the swine. Go figure.

Nae said...

p.s. Adam, it was really fun to see you and Sten the other night. I hope you enjoyed your movie. I'd love to get your address soonish because we want to send you an invite! :)

Anonymous said...

Be careful! No need to get swine flu just before the wedding. Speaking of which, I need to be ordering your flowers asap, so if you could call me, that would be great. So excited for you!!!

Melissa said...

Yikes about the swine flu! But congratulations on the new name tags. That is so exciting!