As a way to relax before an oncoming onslaught of work for Richard (I'm going to pretend these next few weeks aren't happening at all so that I can withstand the inevitable husbandlessness) we convinced my little brother Jacob to bring his high school choir with him and meet us in Washington DC.
Or maybe it was the other way around...
It was a song and a dance to try and meet up with him all over the city, but we managed because of the GPS, Richard's driving skilz*, and our awesome kids. And when we couldn't tag along (like when they went on a White House tour and stuff like that) we had lots of our own family fun!
*Skilz are much, much more powerful than skills.
 |
| Library of Congress...the one you only go in to do research... |
 |
| The other Library of Congress building across the street. This is a cool building and I'm excited to explore it again on a weekday to catch all of the exhibits and rooms. And specifically, behind me, Gershwin's piano! |
We caught up with Jacob for a concert at the Washington DC LDS temple visitor center. Those kids are great at what they do! It was wonderful to hear them...and even cooler to hear them somewhere other than the MV auditorium.
After the performance I got to feel magnificently old as I talked with no less than four of my friend's little brothers and sisters. They were just walking around, being old enough to attend high school, and looking almost like adults. And I'd been to their baptisms and birthday parties... hello Reality. I'm older than I thought.
 |
| This picture made the post because of that stick. Lily wielded it with the inner fire of the Kung Fu Master that she is. Unfortunately, it was eye-level for most people around her. It was gracefully removed from her attention by Uncle Jake. |
 |
| Richard is sad because his 11-year-old scouts are taller than he is. |
 |
| Isn't this an awesome group? |
 |
| High school choir boys. |
Thanks to the kindness of cousins Heber and Gentri, we stayed for another day! This time they were able to come and meet Jake, too!
We met the choir at the National Cathedral. So pretty. And functional, too. Apparently the northwest tower boasts a Darth Vader grotesque, so we can all church happily there.
We attended an Episcopal service, the Holy Eucharist. We were lucky to catch it, it being one of the special Easter programs presented in the Cathedral. It was also being broadcast, and I hope my children kept their fingers out of their respective noses.
There were many worshipers who seemed impressed by the Greens and our determination to bring small children to the service. Faith them early! Impressive! I wonder if they would still be impressed if they heard the noise-level difference in an LDS sacrament meeting. Who knows? But I can tell you right now that the children had some fantastic acoustics to play with.
We had a great time sitting with Jake, and the high schoolers were all respectful. Way to go high school kids! We were asked not to take pictures of the interior of the cathedral, so naturally I forgot to take my camera out of the carrying case at all.
Afterward was lunch for the families with little kiddos in the Bishop's Garden. Quite picturesque.
 |
| Bishop's Garden at the National Cathedral. Gentri and I are chewing in sync. We are quite talented. |
The next time we met up with Jake was to be our last meeting of the trip. We found him just in time for him to catch the buses to Arlington, where he and his choir would preform. Having just parked, we stayed put in the National Archives. Loved them. Will happily go back again soon, preferably without children so that we can actually take the time to read things.
Our last stop before heading home was the National Gallery of Art.
 |
| We found Philly's spanish cousin in the sculpture garden. |
 |
| Picture taken by Lil. She and Ruth spent a lot of time trying hard to keep their hands out of the fountain. This was the coolest fountain, by the way. It's Venus, wringing out her hair. The end of her hair actually drips water, as well as the actual fountain bit that's under her foot. Very fun. |
 |
| I love that the one boob shot I took ended up being the one that Lil photobombed... |
I found my favorite sculpture. Ever. I love the look on her face, and I just really want to read that book. The detail was exquisite and just looking at her made me feel like I do when I read a great book.
 |
| We liked this one, too. So much movement for a statue! |
 |
| Love her hair. |
 |
| The girls love this one. |
 |
| Second most beautiful table I've ever seen. |
 |
| The picture that Lil took of the table. And we found something childlike and interesting under there. I wonder how long that's been there... |
 |
| Hand painted. Astonishing detail. |
 |
| This was the moment right before the security guard got huffy with Ruth for sitting too close to the display. |
 |
| Fun day, but ready to be done. We'll be back, DC. We'll be back. |
2 comments:
What a great adventure.
love love love the scribbles under the table!
Post a Comment