Just now as I was walking home from campus, an amazing thing happened. It really made me smile, and I just wanted to let everyone know how wonderful complete strangers can be.
I was almost to the crosswalk at the edge of the Maeser building when I decided I needed a cough drop. I fished through my backpack for a second (I caught one *this big*!) and then looked back up to see a car coming. I waited...it didn't look like he was going to wait for me...and started across when the car had passed. There were two other girls on the other side of the crosswalk, coming my way. They were talking to each other so I figured that they hadn't paid much attention to me, but to my great surprise...as I reached the other side one of the girls called back to me. She paid me a complement, with a smile, and so I thanked her, with a smile. I have no idea who she is, and I probably never will, but her one act of random kindness meant the world to me. She said words that I needed to hear, and suddenly the sun came out and warmed up my own personal winter.
These seven seconds reaffirmed to me the importance of communication, stepping out of my comfort bubble, and letting people know when I think highly of them. Nice thoughts don't do much good if they stay in my head. Kudos to this wonderful, beautiful girl who reminded me of how possible it is to bring sunshine to other people. I love strangers... ;) ...in that "angels unaware" sort of way.
1 comment:
Well I'm certainly glad that I was sharing my blog feeds with Keith today, because somehow this last blog post of yours had slipped through my 'unread blog post' guarding fingers.
Anyway, I enjoy your post.
I enjoy you.
That sounds creepy. Don't take it that way.
Post a Comment