6.17.2008

"Maybe physics really will turn out to be chemistry. That would be too bad."

Yeah, it's definitely almost time for Spring semester to end. If it wasn't, I think I would curl up in fetal position and start to whimper. I love school. I really love learning but oy! My problem is that I'm still trying to learn how to manage my time. Some times I do a really great job and I make time to do everything. Life is balanced and marvelous. Unfortunately, other times (like say, yesterday and today) I make silly choices and have to pay the exhausting consequences.

In physics yesterday we learned strange things. I had no idea that there was anything more basic than a quark, but apparently there are a lot of things I didn't know. Bosons and flavors and colors and pretty much anti-particles for everything. And that fact that everything gets really simple with ten dimensions. My professor leaned back against the table and said, "We hardly know anything, and we're not going anywhere. We're so isolated out on our arm of the galaxy that we won't be seeing the center of anything, anywhere. We won't even make it to the next star. Now, I'm not so curious that I'm going to check out early or anything, but I really want to know."

We live here, so small compared to everything else...or so huge (if you're thinking about the Standard Model) that we can't quite grasp everything. I think it's truly amazing how things can fit together and work...and we can't even fully understand how. I'm in awe, usually.

Now, changing the subject, I would like to put a plug in for being responsible. Managing your time is a lot more than getting meals, having a social life and attempting good grades. And getting sleep. Oooo...I just recently pulled a 23 and a half hour day. Like, yesterday. Up at 2am (long story), and finally in bed at 1:30am (longer story). From the bottom of my heart, please everyone take care of yourselves. Respond to what your body is saying. Feed me! Sleep me! Exercise me! If we drain ourselves then we will not have the energy or the effort to really experience this life and the truly wonderful things that we are here to take part in. I think I've lost a lot of sleep lately because of emotions. Emotions are important things to feel and process! They're real, to be sure, but they don't necessarily take precedence. I just learned that the not-so-easy way.

I) (That's a tired smiley face...see? The eyes are closed)

2 comments:

Suzie said...

I know this will sound a bit strange, but...I'm totally jealous! Last month for me was over-relaxing and I can't wait to start my second job on Thursday and start feeling more productive.
But at the same time, I'm glad I don't have to go through finals. *shudder* I leave you with this blessing: May you have lots of dinner dates so you can use all that time you would have spent preparing a culinary masterpiece flirting with a cute boy. :)

Nae said...

Great blessing! Why didn't you leave it sooner?