6.26.2008

Thoughts worth thinking

A friend of mine mentioned in passing that Jane Eyre was a wonderful read. I found a copy of the text on Project Gutenberg and began it just this morning, and I dare say, I wish I had read it sooner. The language is beautiful and the story is captivating. In fact, I've interrupted my reading of it to post this, simply because I loved this passage so much. Jane is speaking to a new acquaintance at Lowood, Helen Burns. Helen is so wise and still so harmless! The following passage is something Helen says to Jane during a discussion about forgiveness and patience.

"I hold another creed: ...in which I delight, and to which I cling: for it extends hope to all: it makes Eternity a rest—a mighty home, not a terror and an abyss. Besides, with this creed, I can so clearly distinguish between the criminal and his crime; I can so sincerely forgive the first while I abhor the last: with this creed revenge never worries my heart, degradation never too deeply disgusts me, injustice never crushes me too low: I live in calm, looking to the end."

1 comment:

Ben said...

Jane Eyre! It really is an amazing book, one of my favorites -- I'm glad you're liking it. :) (The musical's incredible, too. And I've heard the recent Masterpiece Theatre film is also rather good.) Charlotte Brontë was a one heck of a good writer.