2.01.2010

Ducks


Today I found myself walking to the car by way of the BYU duck pond. This pond was once known as the botany pound until someone introduced the ducks which quickly destroyed most of the plant life. In any case I decided to stop and observe ducks in this habitat for a few moments before running along with my day. It was really amusing to watch them scatter into the water as I approached and then to see them swim around and nip at each other, preen as if preparing to go to some grand event. Then suddenly every duck in the pond looked to the west and began to rush to the shore. The object of their desire, a three year old with her mommy. I found it interesting that the child held no food in her hand nor did her mother, but the ducks gathered expectantly around the three year old. (still avoiding me) Their attention was rewarded with a few bits of bread, and the ensuing stamped of webbed feet caused the mother to lift her daughter into the air to avoid duck bites. I took a step forward and the ducks ran. It then occurred to me that ducks are not known for a great sense of smell (they do have a rather strong smell however) but these particular ducks have been classically trained to come waddling when ever a small child approaches. Thus I think that the duck pond must be renamed once more to the Psychology pond.

p.s. Yes I took the picture.

8 comments:

Julie said...

Maybe its the turtles that stink-- or the three year old.

Ro Ro Riot said...

I have to say that I really love that picture. Is that with film or digital?

Jared Stubbs said...

That is a pretty cool picture, seriously.

michaelstubbs said...

We used to love feeding the ducks at BYU too, only we didn't have kids. It was just two adults harassing the ducks. But who are you to judge me?

Rich said...

I have nothing against harassing ducks. I just thought it was funny to see them harass the three year old. (the picture is digital Ro)

Jangs said...

Thanks for taking time to smell the ducks. (especially since there are no flowers to take the time to smell right now) Those are fun observations and a great picture

Stepper the Mighty said...

HAH! I love it!

SP said...

funny and that is a cool pic.