2.15.2010

"They put young married people in nursery because it's the best contraceptive in the church"

Ever heard that one before? :) Too bad they put me in sunbeams with the cutest kids on the planet! It's crazy, but my eight little sunbeams are the most reverent kids in the primary. Is it still the shock of moving up from nursery? I think so. It will probably wear off in a few months when I don't have much of a lap anymore to keep them sitting on. But they actually sit with arms folded *almost* all the way through sharing time (but the other kids are gone once they walk through the door...not a joke). They all try so hard to listen and sit still (except one girl who likes to hide in small places and eat chalk, but her mom is in the presidency and she's always running to and from her mom so it's difficult to know what to do with her). They LOVE singing time, and of course I cry every time I hear their little voices singing words to those beautiful songs and meaning it. You can just tell that they mean what they say. They wouldn't know to do otherwise. It's most touching when they sing about Jesus Christ, their Savior. I think I'm beginning to realize how deeply He loves children.

I love children too! Even though not all of my sunbeams are potty trained yet. Even though some weeks in class it's better to spend five seconds on a lesson and then have them play simon says. Even though they sometimes eat the paper they're supposed to be coloring. The simple truth is that they're wonderful. I learn so  much from them, and I wouldn't have it any other way.

I'm also excited for my own baby. Even though I throw up. Even though when I'm not throwing up I feel like I want to throw up. Even though my emotions can take huge 180 degree turns in a picosecond. Even though I know my body is going to be changing and I may never get it to be quite like this again. I am humbled to be joining the ranks of those noble and good women called mothers. I do get nervous sometimes--unsure of exactly how to be a mom or if I'll even be a good one. But I have some really incredible examples to look to, so I know it's going to be all right. I already look up to my own dear mother and my mother-in-law, my incredible grandmas, my fantastic aunts and cousins (you all amaze me and I don't think I tell you enough) and the best darn sisters-in-law that anyone could ever have asked for.

8 comments:

Merry said...

You're pregnant? Did you announce it before and I just missed it? Congratulations Janae!

Jangs said...

Great visual comments. Makes you feel happy inside. They love children here in the Ukraine. You don't see many. When we were walking to church with the Leavitt family and their 7 kids, an older lady stopped and bowed to us and smiled. A smile on the streets of Ukraine is rare. It was really touching. And besides if you want special treatment on the subway take a kid with you. You get treated like gold. Hope the morning sickness passes soon. I really feel for you.

wendys said...

I hope you start feeling better. With Eliza I took 1/2 Unisom tablet every night and then I would only throw up 3-4 times a day instead of all day and night. You could try it if it gets too bad! You are going to be a great mother because you can love kids that aren't yours!! I am still working on that one... I guess that's why my callings are ALWAYS in Primary.

SP said...

I took Wendys unisom advise (dr. Approved) and I believe in it 100%. Unless you are past that point.

By the way, which "sister-in-law" (singular) did you mean? Can I be the best, or is someone else?! ;)

Also, I'm with you on Primary. I love that new Primary song, it is soooo good. My favortite line, "wrapped in the arms of my Savior's love..." is the best.

michaelstubbs said...

Some of your Sunbeams aren't potty trained yet? Can you send them back to the factory? I remember my first Sunbeam lesson: "Our bodies can do wonderful things." We never got past the beauty of the children's first answer--poop. They didn't talk about anything else that day without returning to poop. Later they would remember the week we learned about poop. I loved those kids, and I am so glad that they weren't mine.

Stepper the Mighty said...

:: happy dance, happy dance! ::

I just learned the news last night from my folks! That is SO exciting, and you will be a WONDERFUL mother!

Pregnancy is not like the movies, neh?

LOVE YOU!

Nae said...

Actually Missy, to avoid any brawls or name-calling, I made sure to make it plural. Besides, could I really pick one of you as my favorite? Unless...of course...you make our visit in April TOTALLY cool... :)

Stepper, being preggo is not like the movies. Uh-uh. Especially when I throw up food that I really wanted to eat. :) Thanks for doing a happy dance!

Mike, the Sunbeams and I had a poop conversation just last week, but it came out of nowhere. And now that Richard read the comment he can't stop talking about poop either. :)

Wendy, that is such a good tip! We'll have a doctor's appointment soon, so I'll ask then. Thanks!!!

Ro Ro Riot said...

I'm glad I read your blog because, unlike Stepper, I had not heard it from my parents and will probably not hear it from them until you've had the baby. CONGRATULATIONS!!!