3.09.2010

God Bless America

I am not ashamed of my pride in the United States of America. Today I have been reminded of that in several ways. Around 5:00 Janae and I walking together on BYU Campus and saw the Air Force Cadets standing at the flag pole in Brigham Square. We stopped and held our hands over our hearts as the national anthem played and the flag was lowered slowly. It was really nice to stand and salute the symbol of our nation the symbol of our freedom. Many have died for this nation to keep it the way it is today. I feel that I need to give my two cents on the matter as two experiences have recently turned my mind to the subject of our great nation.
First as many of you know I am working at a physical therapist as a tech. In this job I get the opportunity to speak with patients and learn a great deal about their lives as they come in day after day for treatments. One gentleman sticks out in my mind particularly. He is 92 and acted and moved as if he was 50, if it weren't for cancer he said he'd be in a lot better health. As I treated him he told me a little of his life's story. He served in WW2 aboard an aircraft carrier for 2 years in the Pacific theater. He said he shared his fair share of close calls and tough combat including a direct hit from a kamikaze. Through this all he served his country faithfully, even with his wife and two children waiting for his safe return. I was really moved by his stories of the war. He was 60 miles off the coast of japan when 2nd atomic bomb was dropped, and sailed in just after the surrender to one of the most heavily armed Japanese ports. He said every single gun had a white flag hung from its tip. I hope we never see war again on the same scale as WW2. I am eternally grateful for the sacrifice of brave young men and women who fought for our freedom. Now we find that our country is again at war, this time against a very different enemy, and we pray that it will find an end soon. The War in Iraq and Afghanistan has always been on my mind, but today it is particularly at the for front. Janae and I have a cousin who is about to be deployed for a year into this unforgiving land two months after the birth of his first son. You can bet Janae and I will be praying for him, and will do all we can to rally around his wife in his absence. I know he will be watched over by the Lord and I know he will be a great example of a priesthood holder in the service of the Lord and country.
Our prayers are with you Steve, and I will be standing a little straighter each time I listen to the national anthem and hold my hand over my heart, because I have a face to go with that Flag which had always meant so much to me. We love you Steve and Ali. Let Janae and Me know if there is anything we can do for you.
As a tribute to Steve and Ali for their sacrifice and to all those who are currently fighting we are going to fly the flag on the day of Steve's deployment on St. Patty's Day.

2 comments:

Emma Jo said...

Good luck to Steve and his family! I know that the Lord blesses these service members and their families. I know it.
Those men and women that serve are truly something special.

Jangs said...

After returning home from a country that was under Soviet oppression for almost 100 years I can say we lived in an extremely blessed land. Thank you to those who preserve it for us.