To preface this story we have to go back to July 24th. Normally in Utah the 24th of July is a holiday where you get off work. Since the 24th landed on a Sunday this year most people took the day off the following Monday. Even my Dad's law office observed this holiday.
In the P.T. clinic I work at we did not get the day off. Our boss said that even though it was a holiday we would have to work since the medical business did not always get holidays. Interestingly enough when I showed up for work my boss had decided to cancel all his appointments and took the day off. Needless to say everyone else who was stuck working were a little grumpy. It was a pretty long day, we didn't have a lot of patients to see, and it was looking like I would get out an hour before we can normally could. WE lock the doors at 6:00 and if anyone is working out or swimming they have until 7 to finish up. Then right at 5:50 a patient walks into the clinic. The closing therapist saw her first and I volunteered to do the her treatment. When I was going to treat her she was on the phone and consiquently made me wait even longer. (remember I was supposed to be home enjoying a holiday.)
Eventually she finished her call and I started the treatment. I was in a sour mood, angry at my boss for telling us that everyone would work and then skipping out himself, angry that I had to stay longer than normal because a selfish patient wanted to talk on her phone, and angry because I was hungry and missing a family BBQ. All that changed...
To pass the time the patient started asking me questions about pioneer day. She was from out of town and not LDS. So I told her about the Mormon pioneers and about why they left for Utah. She was very intrigued that we had so much persecution and asked more questions about the church. This lead to a discussion about the restoration of the gospel through Joseph Smith. She was very interested when I told her about God and Jesus being two separate beings. That was a new concept to her and she liked it. Then she asked all kinds of questions about the Godhead and the role of each member. She asked all about modern revelation and prophets and apostles. When I finished the treatment I was ashamed that I had been so grumpy about her coming in. My attitude needed an adjustment.
After I cleaned up the patient went to workout and I felt prompted to ask her if I could send some missionaries her way. She agreed and I also gave her a sticky note with Mormon.org on it. She agreed to look at the website while she waited for missionaries to contact her. The next day I called the referral center at the MTC and gave them the patients info. They called me back a few days later and said that they had called her and that it would be difficult to get missionaries to her since she was living in a hotel at the time. They had told her to check out the church websites and that was the last I heard of that. I didn't ever see the patient in the clinic again either. And eventually I forgot about the whole thing.
Yesterday I was back from work sitting at the computer checking my e-mail when my phone rang. It was the sister missionary I had talked to months ago at the MTC. She told me that she was calling because she just wanted to let me know that last week the patient that i refered to them was baptized and confirmed a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day saints. It was pretty cool to have them call me back and I was really glad that I got to find out that a seed had taken root and was nurtured.
I learned from this that you never know when someone will come into your path that is ready to hear the Gospel. I am very glad that I stayed the extra two hours on a "holiday" instead of getting home early to a BBQ.
6 comments:
That's so awesome. Well done sir.
Proud of your example. Good job you faithful servant
Wow. That's the kind of story that gets told at general conference. Nice work, but watch out. You'll probably have to speak in general conference in the future which means that you have a lot of work ahead of you, and also...you will have to work on your spelling.
:) Well if you're going to speak at General Conference then I'm going to come watch. Although, it might be fun to see you on TV and just watch in my pajamas. I'll decide later.
I think this is wonderful, and it makes me want to be more open with others. There aren't any laws that say when or where you can have missionary opportunities. :)
Spelling, smelling... I don't have to spell it wright. ;)
Cool story. That is nice that they called you to let you know what had happened-- that is very thoughtful.
I don't blame you for being upset working on a holiday. When you are the big boss, you can do the same-- but I am guessing you will be smart enough to close up shop or to stay and work with your employees.
Post a Comment