I was reading in the The Gospel According to St Matthew, chapter 14. Things seem to happen rapid-fire in the book of Matthew. Christ and his disciples go from hearing of John the Baptist's beheading to feeding the multitude of 5000. And then Christ tells his disciples to go get in a boat while he sends the multitude away—leaving him with enough quiet time to pray on his own.
22 ¶And straightway Jesus constrained his disciples to get into a ship, and to go before him unto the other side, while he sent the multitudes away.
23 And when he had sent the multitudes away, he went up into a mountain apart to a pray: and when the evening was come, he was there alone.
But during his prayer, the disciples on the ship weren't having a particularly spiritually renewing experience.
And so, with his ever-merciful love, Christ goes to take care of them.
Peter was quick to believe. His faith was strong, and he responded with love and devotion.
This is where my moment of understanding happened. I've often thought of Peter's faith and wondered how on earth he could have doubted—he was already walking on the water, after all. But this time I saw a much larger picture than I ever had before. Maybe this story is exactly what I am, as a daughter of God.
Once, long ago, I stood with others of my spirit brothers and sisters and chose the Plan of Salvation, with Jesus Christ as my Savior. That meant that I would come to earth, receive a physical body, and learn and grow—here. I would be tested, and I knew that.
Not everyone of us spirit children when we were finally clothed in mortality would make good choices, and we knew that. And accidents would happen. Pain, sickness, and sadness would happen. But so would joy and the promise of eventually receiving all that our Father in Heaven had.
The pre-mortal experience was a lot like being with the disciples on the boat. We "knew" that things were going to get difficult on Earth, but there was our Savior—already walking on the water. Already overcoming death and hell. He had already done it. His Atonement and sacrifice was eternal and infinite, so there was nothing left for us to do but come, and then follow him.
30 But when he saw the wind boisterous, he was a afraid; and beginning to sink, he cried, saying, Lord, save me.
But wow. Sometimes this mortal life gets frightening. And it's with white knuckles that I look down, and see nothing but the raging water beneath me. And feel the wind pressing me—daring me not to drown. Even if I know in my head that my Savior is on the water with me, my heart fails me. I see people doing horrible things to each other. I hear of pain and sadness. My heart breaks for my spirit brothers and sisters who are having a hard time on the stormy sea, too. I wonder why I got out of the boat in the first place. And it's then that I start to sink and cry out, begging my Lord to save me.
The most beautiful part is that he does.
33 Then they that were in the ship came and worshipped him, saying, Of a truth thou art the Son of God.
When I was younger I used to question why Peter ever could have lost that faith that got him walking out on the water in the first place. Not anymore.
But my faith got me out here, too. Me, my spirit self, I had enough faith in my Savior to brave the prospect of mortality. I got out of the boat and started to navigate the stormy sea. That faith was strong before. And it can be again. Immediately, even. As soon as I cry out to him, he immediately stretches forth his hand to catch me.
And I know that he'll catch me whenever I start to sink and cry out in this world—as long as I'm living. Then, when I've completed everything that he needed me to do here on this earth, he'll take me back to the ship, and the wind will cease. And I'll remember all of my faith and all of the rescues, and I'll worship him, once again acknowledging that he is the Son of God.
3 comments:
Aw, well written, Janae. Thanks for sharing.
Thank you for sharing. That was good insight. I appreciate it.
Thanks honey. I loved that insight.
Post a Comment