I thoroughly enjoy my psychology class. It gets me to think about interesting things even though I laugh really hard when they make up silly words. Example:
Maximizing and Satisficing
Satisficing? Really? That word just makes me think they were running out of ideas. I laughed (nearly) out loud when I read it, and then again when I read "satisficers," that is, one who uses the satisficing approach. Despite my initial reaction to their silly pretend words, the concept made me think. Am I a maximizer or a satisficer?
These definitions are from my book.
Maximizing: thoroughly considering every possibility to find the best one
Satisficing: searching only until you find something that is good enough
It then goes on to say that "maximizers usually make better choices, at least according to certain criteria. ... However, they are less satisfied with their choices! ... Maximizers look for 'the best' and continue to wonder whether they were right (citation of some incredibly exciting study, no doubt). Also, whatever they choose, maximizers regret the other opportunities they missed. In short, seeking the best possible choice sets you up for disappointment."
Hmmm...do I agree? I'm a maximizer sometimes. It's important to me to make sure that I'm getting the best. I LOVE comparing grocery store sales and cutting coupons and bargaining with people and being obnoxious like that. It saves money, even just a little bit, which makes me feel like I'm saving little pieces of life (because let's face it, time=money). But do I have to go to every single shoe store in Utah county to find those perfect flip flops? I don't even like shoes. People who maximize every single choice they make are impossible to deal with on a day-to-day basis, in my opinion. Never go shopping with them unless they did their maximizing beforehand. Did you ever know anyone who refused to get married because they were afraid that they were missing out on someone, somewhere on the planet?
I lucked out, because Rich is the very best. :) And he pretty much fell into my lap with a big sign that said, "Hey, pick me! I'm the right choice!"
I'm not sure I believe that maximizers are setting themselves up for regret and frustration...as long as they know when to stop weighing options and start being happy with the choices that they made. Satisficers (that's getting more and more fun to type) have the right idea about being content with the choice they make. So maybe it's best to be a mixture of the two. A maxificer! Better yet, a satisfamizer! We can start by maximizing and then after we make a choice, we'll be satisfied.
Are you a maximizer or a satisficer?
7 comments:
I'm not quite sure I fit into just one of the categories either, but I sure am glad I can live with decisions I've made and move on.
I'm definitely a satisficer!
And I also thought it was an extremely easy choice to choose my husband! After all of my past relationships, he suddenly just jumped out at me, and said "Here I am!" :D
Hmm... Interesting question. For me, I think it depends on the situation, like you and the flip flops. I'm a maximizer when it comes to important decisions, but a satisficer with the little ones.
But important decisions for me aren't where to live, which giant TV to buy, etc. I've made big purchase decisions without taking a long time to search for the best deal. Important decisions for me are more like what career to go into, who to marry, etc. On those, I take FOREVER to decide.
I mean, come on - I was 26 before I found my wife. But once I found her, I took VERY little time making the decision.
hum hummmmm well on many things any more I am a satificer. Is that how you spell it? Strange word. But I can live with it. Guess that says it about me
satisficer all the way.
Isn't there any room for old cranks who don't care to please anyone?
I'm a cranksifizer!Or for the Old medicated population, I'm a Cranksiphizer!
Post a Comment