Sometimes there are moments in life that leave me remembering the fact that I am mortal. My life hovers in the fast lane and I forget that I'm mortal until such moments when everything screeches to a halt.
These moments and reminders are bittersweet. They are a time to revisit faith and to ask myself if I would have the courage to put my trust in the Lord. They are a time to mourn with those that mourn and comfort those that stand in need of comfort, as hard as that can be. But they mean that someone is left behind to mourn the loss of someone they loved, even though death is necessary.
They also prove the power and comforting beauty of the Plan of Salvation.
I have a dear friend from high school named Holly. I remember her being the beautiful girl who was always smiling, encouraging, and completely genuine. I still admire her and look to her example in so many ways. She and her husband just had a beautiful baby girl in February. But Holly's husband passed away on Monday, and it seems so very sudden.
My heart broke for her the moment I found out, and it's still breaking. As soon as I found out all I wanted was to give her a really big hug but I can't because she's in Idaho right now, and I can't drive up to be with her. Instead I went home and hugged Richard. I had the strangest mixture of feelings...I was so grateful that my husband was okay, but I felt so selfish to think like that. So I just cried and prayed for Holly and her baby girl.
I thought about what I would do if this was happening to me. I don't know, honestly. I thought about how fragile life is. But then I thought about strong people. I thought about people who don't let fragile situations break them. I know that Holly is one of those people, and I pray for her whenever my heart catches in my throat. The bonds of death have been loosed because of our Savior, Jesus Christ. And even more strengthening is the fact that Holly and Isaiah, even though they are now parted for a time, were sealed in the temple for all eternity.
Here is Isaiah's obituary. I just really wanted to include it as a memorial to him. This whole post could be considered a memorial for Holly and Isaiah and baby Lucy. I love them all so much.
Isaiah Wilford Quinlan, age 26, was taken by his Heavenly Father to continue his work on the other side of the veil Monday morning, July 5th, 2010. The cause attributed to his passing was cardiac arrhythmia.
Isaiah was born in Orem, Utah and reared for most of his youth in Santa Clara County, California. He attended Milkin and Naddin Elementary Schools, Dartmouth Junior High School, and Leigh High School, graduating in 2002. He also attended De Anza Junior College, as well as Brigham Young University-Idaho. He was to graduate this upcoming fall.
He is a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. Despite his diabetes and the resultant expenses, he served a full-time mission in the Arizona Tempe Mission from 2004-2006. Isaiah met his eternal companion Holly Patten January 2007 at BYU-Idaho and married her July 30th, 2008. In February last, they were blessed with the birth of their baby, Lucy.
Isaiah was loved for his smile and sense of humor. In high school he developed a “secret” persona of “Captain Happy” and was sometimes spotted in his bright yellow garb and smiley face cape, defending the world from sadness. He had a knack for turning words upside-down, making puns, and finding the irony in situations.
He had a passion for learning and teaching and desired to stay in higher education for his career. He felt he could never get enough books and found pleasure in discovering new ideas and modes of thought. He had many underground hobbies, such as trying new recipes, scrapbooking wedding photos with his wife, and writing poetry. He was known for leaving humorous raps on the answering machines of local missionaries and ward members.
Isaiah’s character was marked by his strong work ethic and dedication. He earned 31 merit badges and his Eagle Scout Project required over 900 service hours to complete. He strove to overcome obstacles in order to run cross-country in his schooling. In 2007 he ran the Teton Dam Marathon in 4 hours, 30 minutes.
Although he held many leadership positions, both in his church callings and in extracurricular positions, he has always felt that the most important title he could put on his resume was “a disciple of Jesus Christ.” His greatest passion was to build the Lord’s Kingdom and to further the cause of Zion. He was a fiercely loyal friend, a devoted son, and a soft-hearted, selfless husband.
He is survived by Holly Patten Quinlan (wife), Lucy Claire Quinlan (daughter), Grant Wade Quinlan (father), Julie Ann Baker Quinlan (mother), and Aurellia Mara Quinlan Saunders (sister).
Funeral services will be held this Friday, July 9, at 9 a.m. in the BYU-Idaho 9th Stake Center on the corner of Seventh South and University Blvd. in Rexburg. A viewing will be held Thursday, July 8, from 5:30-8:00 p.m. at Flamm Funeral Home located at 61 North 1st East in Rexburg.
Since many have inquired how they could contribute to support his young family, bishopric members may be contacted regarding the subject: Wade Hobbs, 801-231-6004, hob08002@byui.edu, or Alec Larsen, 406-839-3550, lar09024@byui.edu. His family is sincerely grateful for the overwhelming support, love, and prayers they have received.

6 comments:
Sorry to hear the sad news. You can stay with us if you decided to travel north and visit your friend.
I am so sorry. How very sad. It makes you doubly grateful to have to gospel to pull you through it all. I am glad you friend has you
Wow. How sad. Death is always so hard. It's hard enough just saying, "see you later"! Imagine not having the plan of salvation!
My heart is so sad for them and you their friend. I am so sorry.
Oh my gosh, Janae! I had no idea. That completely breaks my heart. Thank you for posting, because I would never have known otherwise. Will you please tell her I send my love? I don't have her contact info anymore. Thank you!
It's awful to think something so awful can happen to someone so good. Thank you for posting. Please send her my love as well.
Post a Comment