11.07.2011

Halloween, and some other stuff!

Friday night I tried to fall asleep, but it wasn't happening. Rich was on a campout with the scouts, Lily had been asleep for hours, and there I was...laying in bed writing blog posts in my head. I actually got a pretty good one going before I fell asleep.

When I woke up it was long gone.

Instead of the hilarious, brilliant post that got lost somewhere in my subconscious, you get a mini travelogue of what we've been up to the past while.

Lets see...what's happened since Mike came home...


Halloween!

 Rich dressed up as a mad scientist for work and class. When he went to school he even changed into a shirt and bow tie...just to make it even more realistic. But I failed to get pictures of him with his even-cooler costume. :) Sorry.
Yes, we did the classic "burn a candle under a glass plate and then use it as face paint" for the black around his goggles.
Yes, I may have melted the goggles a little. :)



Then, to go trick or treating as a family, we changed costume again! Here you see our incredibly detailed Angry Bird and Pigs costumes! They actually turned out really great! Those are feathers on top of Lily's hood. I only got three pinned on before she had a cow, but they gave the right idea.

p.s. Pillows make fantastic insulation! I was warm and toasty the whole time. (Because of the pillows, not because of my pregnant metabolism.) And yes, I do have a pillow in front and in back. I'm not that pregnant yet. :0)

Cleaning and rearranging:

The story goes like this.

I'm talking to my friend who had a baby the day after Lily's birthday, making her daughter a year younger than Lily. I say, "So when are you going to move *Granilda into her own room?"
*Name was changed...though mostly for laughs

"Oh, we did that a month ago."

...

"Oh...that's...cool..."

I suddenly panic, thinking that I'll never be able to get Lily to leave us.

Before you think I'm a paranoid mom who can't sleep unless I have one hand on my child, know that our apartment only has one real room in it. It made sense to leave things the way they were because there was no where else to put the Lilinator.
 However, after a few nights of our darling daughter keeping us up until 5 IN THE MORNING we knew it was time for change. After laying in bed, for hours, listening to her cry in our room, we would blearily shove her bed into the hall and close the door.
After this happened a few times, we thought it might work to make it permanent.
It's been a long time moving things around, and I still have to finish the curtain that will make her hallway an official bedroom (and by finish, I mean I have to find a good light/sound-blocking fabric and purchase it so that I can start making the curtain). In the mean time she's been taking well to it. It seems she can handle a little bit of noise and light. Naps are harder, but when it's actually bedtime we can just put her down, turn out all the lights, and go hide in our room.

Teaching!


Teaching has been going really well! I love it. The school counselors are still working to get the students' schedules moved around, so I only have 4 students right now. Yeah, you should have seen my first class. There were only 3 students that day, and apparently junior high students don't like having such a small student to teacher ratio. They seemed pretty panicked that I still expected them to learn without more kids there as a buffer. Luckily today they were more used to the fact that it's just them and me. For now, anyway. :)




5 comments:

Anna said...

We had Rachel in our bed for more than a year, you are not alone! :)

Also, YOU'RE PREGNANT?! :)

SP said...

I love all the costumes. congrats on releasing yourselves from your babie's grasp. I am amazed you handled it so long. Now enjoy your sleep until bb #2 keeps you awake, and then Lily is able to walk into our room, then bb #2 walks into your room.....just kiss sleep goodbye, sniff.

Jangs said...

Great costumes. You two are very creative. And I love Lily pictures. And remember our pioneer ancestors use to live in one room cabins. How they did I will never understand but they did some how

Julie said...

Happy late birthday!! Great costumes and good to hear and update on everything you are up to.

What does that say about us when we had our 3rd child in our room until he was 4? (He actually did sleep alone until he turned 2...oh well... dang kids.)

That is great about your class-- 4 students?! That is funny they like the "buffer" of more students-- that sounds about right!

michaelstubbs said...

I can't believe that you guys dressed up for Halloween.